- 1. accounting, explanation, account
- usage: a convincing explanation that reveals basic causes; "he was unable to give a clear accounting for his actions"
- 2. accounting, system, system of rules
- usage: a system that provides quantitative information about finances
- 3. accountancy, accounting, occupation, business, job, line of work, line
- usage: the occupation of maintaining and auditing records and preparing financial reports for a business
- 4. accounting, accounting system, method of accounting, register
- usage: a bookkeeper's chronological list of related debits and credits of a business; forms part of a ledger of accounts
- 5. account, accounting, account statement, statement, financial statement
- usage: a statement of recent transactions and the resulting balance; "they send me an accounting every month"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. account, be
- usage: be the sole or primary factor in the existence, acquisition, supply, or disposal of something; "Passing grades account for half of the grades given in this exam"
- 2. account, calculate
- usage: keep an account of
- 3. report, describe, account, inform
- usage: to give an account or representation of in words; "Discreet Italian police described it in a manner typically continental"
- 4. account, answer for, declare
- usage: furnish a justifying analysis or explanation; "I can't account for the missing money"
All rights reserved.
See also: accounting (Dictionary)