- 1. absurd, the absurd, situation, state of affairs
- usage: a situation in which life seems irrational and meaningless; "The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"--Albert Camus
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. absurd, illogical (vs. logical), unlogical
- usage: inconsistent with reason or logic or common sense; "the absurd predicament of seeming to argue that virtue is highly desirable but intensely unpleasant"- Walter Lippman
- 2. absurd, cockeyed, derisory, idiotic, laughable, ludicrous, nonsensical, preposterous, ridiculous, foolish (vs. wise)
- usage: incongruous;inviting ridicule; "the absurd excuse that the dog ate his homework"; "that's a cockeyed idea"; "ask a nonsensical question and get a nonsensical answer"; "a contribution so small as to be laughable"; "it is ludicrous to call a cottage a mansion"; "a preposterous attempt to turn back the pages of history"; "her conceited assumption of universal interest in her rather dull children was ridiculous"
All rights reserved.
See also: absurd (Dictionary)