WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. absorption, soaking up, sorption
- usage: (chemistry) a process in which one substance permeates another; a fluid permeates or is dissolved by a liquid or solid
- 2. absorption, natural process, natural action, action, activity
- usage: (physics) the process in which incident radiated energy is retained without reflection or transmission on passing through a medium; "the absorption of photons by atoms or molecules"
- 3. assimilation, absorption, social process
- usage: the social process of absorbing one cultural group into harmony with another
- 4. assimilation, absorption, organic process, biological process
- usage: the process of absorbing nutrients into the body after digestion
- 5. concentration, engrossment, absorption, immersion, attention
- usage: complete attention; intense mental effort
- 6. preoccupation, preoccupancy, absorption, engrossment, cognitive state, state of mind
- usage: the mental state of being preoccupied by something
All rights reserved.
See also: absorption (Dictionary)