WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. abrupt, disconnected, staccato (vs. legato), disconnected
- usage: marked by sudden changes in subject and sharp transitions; "abrupt prose"
- 2. abrupt, sudden (vs. gradual)
- usage: exceedingly sudden and unexpected; "came to an abrupt stop"; "an abrupt change in the weather"
- 3. abrupt, precipitous, sharp, steep (vs. gradual)
- usage: extremely steep; "an abrupt canyon"; "the precipitous rapids of the upper river"; "the precipitous hills of Chinese paintings"; "a sharp drop"
- 4. abrupt, discourteous (vs. courteous)
- usage: surprisingly and unceremoniously brusque in manner; "an abrupt reply"
All rights reserved.
See also: abrupt (Dictionary)