- 1. abandon, discard, fling, toss, toss out, toss away, chuck out, cast aside, dispose, throw out, cast out, throw away, cast away, put away
- usage: forsake, leave behind; "We abandoned the old car in the empty parking lot"
- 2. abandon, give up
- usage: give up with the intent of never claiming again; "Abandon your life to God"; "She gave up her children to her ex-husband when she moved to Tahiti"; "We gave the drowning victim up for dead"
- 3. vacate, empty, abandon, leave, go forth, go away
- usage: leave behind empty; move out of; "You must vacate your office by tonight"
- 4. abandon, give up
- usage: stop maintaining or insisting on; of ideas or claims; "He abandoned the thought of asking for her hand in marriage"; "Both sides have to give up some claims in these negotiations"
- 5. abandon, forsake, desolate, desert, leave
- usage: leave someone who needs or counts on you; leave in the lurch; "The mother deserted her children"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. abandoned, derelict, deserted, uninhabited (vs. inhabited)
- usage: forsaken by owner or inhabitants ; "weed-grown yard of an abandoned farmhouse"
- 2. abandoned, uninhibited (vs. inhibited)
- usage: free from constraint; "an abandoned sadness born of grief"- Liam O'Flaherty
All rights reserved.
See also: abandoned (Dictionary)