ESRB Content Descriptors
Terms used for rating video games
by Mark Hughes
Everyone 10+ (E10+)
The following terms are used by the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) to provide an impartial rating about video game content in order to better inform consumers about their choices.
- alcohol reference
- Reference to and/or images of alcoholic beverages
- animated blood
- Discolored and/or unrealistic depictions of blood
- Depictions of blood
- blood and gore
- Depictions of blood or the mutilation of body parts
- cartoon violence
- Violent actions involving cartoon-like situations and characters. May include violence where a character is unharmed after the action.
- comic mischief
- Depictions or dialogue involving slapstick or suggestive humor.
- crude humor
- Depictions or dialogue involving vulgar antics, including "bathroom" humor
- drug reference
- Reference to and/or images of illegal drugs
- fantasy violence
- Violent actions of a fantasy nature, involving human or non-human characters in situations easily distinguishable from real life.
- intense violence
- Graphic and realistic-looking depictions of physical conflict. May involve extreme and/or realistic blood, gore, weapons, and depictions of human injury and death.
- Mild to moderate use of profanity
- Mild references to profanity, sexuality, violence, alcohol or drug use in music
- mature humor
- Depictions or dialogue involving “adult“ humor, including sexual references
- Graphic or prolonged depictions of nudity
- partial nudity
- Brief and/or mild depictions of nudity
- real gambling
- Player can gamble, including betting or wagering real cash or currency
- sexual content
- Non-explicit depictions of sexual behavior, possibly including partial nudity
- sexual themes
- References to sex or sexuality
- sexual violence
- Depictions of rape or other violent sexual acts
- simulated gambling
- Player can gamble without betting or wagering real cash or currency
- strong language
- Explicit and/or frequent use of profanity
- strong lyrics
- Explicit and/or frequent references to profanity, sex, violence, alcohol or drug use in music
- strong sexual content
- Explicit and/or frequent depictions of sexual behavior, possibly including nudity
- suggestive themes
- Mild provocative references or materials
- tobacco reference
- Reference to and/or images of tobacco products
- use of drugs
- The consumption or use of illegal drugs
- use of alcohol
- The consumption of alcoholic beverages
- use of tobacco
- The consumption of tobacco products
- Scenes involving aggressive conflict. May contain bloodless dismemberment.
- violent references
- References to violent acts
- More from Toys and Games
- Did you know?
- For more than a billion Muslims around the world, Ramadan is a "month of blessing" marked by prayer, fasting, and charity.