New Nations Quiz
- Armenia and Azerbaijan have fought over Nagorno-Karabakh.
What does the suffix "stan" mean when appears in the name of a nation, such as Turkmenistan?
- The suffix "stan" means "land of." So Turkmenistan, means "Land of the Turkmen," a Central Asian ethnic group.
Greece has protested the name of which new nation?
- Greece protested the new country's use of "Macedonia" on the grounds that it appropriates the name of a province in Northern Greece that has existed since ancient times.
Which new country is also sometimes known as "White Russia?"
- Belarus is sometimes called "White Russia."
Which new nation consists of some 200 Pacific islands?
- The Republic of Palau is made up of 200 small islands in the Pacific Ocean some 500 miles south of the Philippines.
In 1993 which former Eastern European nation peacefully split along ethnic lines to form two new countries?
- Czechoslovakia broke up to form the new nations of Slovakia and the Czech Republic.
The citizenship status of what ethnic minority has been a political issue in Estonia?
- The citizenship status of Russians, who comprise 29% of Estonia's population, has been a political issue in Estonia.
The Portuguese once ruled which new nation?
- East Timor was a Portuguese colony for 400 years.
Which new country was once the most industrialized part of Yugoslavia?
- Slovenia was once the most industrialized part of Yugoslavia.
Which new nation became independent following one of the longest wars in history?
- When it declared its independence in 1994, Eritrea had been fighting, first the Italians, and later the Ethiopians, since the 1890s, making it one of the longest wars in history.