Foods from Around the World Quiz
This Mexican dish is made from ripe avocados, jalapeno peppers, lemon or lime, and tomatoes and can be served with tortilla chips or as a relish on other foods:
- Quesadillas are flour tortillas wedges cooked and filled with melted cheese and anything else you might want to add like chicken or black beans. They are usually served with sour cream, salsa and guacamole. Tacos are shells filled with ground beef, tomatoes, lettuce, and again, anything else you might want to add.
A favorite food from the Mid-East is a paste made of chick peas, olive oil, garlic, and sesame seeds and often spread on Pita bread:
- The basic ingredients of Tabouli are made with parsley, tomatoes, bulgur, onions, mint and lemon juice. Baklava is a dessert made from phyllo pastry, almonds, butter, cinnamon, cloves, lemon, sugar, honey and vanilla.
Italians love this 10-armed mollusk breaded and fried (and usually cut into ring-shaped pieces). The Italian name for it is:
- Also known as squid. Pesto is a sauce made with garlic, basil, and olive oil. Risotto is rice.
At teatime in the United Kingdom they have a sort of doughy biscuit that might have raisins or currants in it and is often served with jam or clotted cream:
- A doughnut is a ring-shaped cake fried in fat and crumpets are similar to English muffins. Scones are traditionally triangular shaped, golden brown on the outside and soft on the inside.
You might think of this as an "egg pie." It often includes spinach, ham, or cheese, and the French call it:
- A tart is more like a dessert pie and is made with fruit. A croissant is like a roll and has a light, flaky texture and can be made with different fillings like chocolate or cream.
Back in the U.S.A. this is a tasty standby made with ground meat and other ingredients such as egg, breadcrumbs, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, onions, or greens:
An Austrian favorite features veal cutlets pounded until very thin, dipped in flour, beaten eggs, and breadcrumbs, and then fried in butter or oil:
- Sauerbraten is a beef roast that is usually simmered in water with vegetables for many hours. You might know it as pot roast. Bratwurst is a German sausage made from ground pork and veal mixed with spices.
This Chinese dish is noodle dough filled with minced meat and vegetables and then fried or boiled:
- Lo Mein is a dish of boiled wheat noodles stir fried with vegetables and sometimes meat or seafood. Moo Shu Pork is stir fried pork and Chinese vegetables with egg.
In Japan, a favorite food is rice shaped into bite-sized pieces and topped with raw or cooked fish, or rolled with fish, egg, or vegetables and wrapped in seaweed:
- Sake is a Japanese alcoholic beverage made from fermented rice. Teriyaki is made from seasoned soy sauce and is used as a marinade for beef, chicken or fish.
This good and hearty Hungarian stew has beef, potatoes, onions, and is seasoned with lots of paprika (a powder made from dried red peppers):
- Gombutz is a Hungarian dish made with cabbage, rice, ground meat, sauerkraut and tomatoes. Kolbasz is pork sausage. You might know it as Kielbasa.