Grand Canyon Quiz
What technique do geologists use to date the Grand Canyon?
- In 2008, geologists found that the Grand Canyon is at least 16 million years old
- John Wesley Powell led the expedition in 1869, and it took the group two months to complete the journey
In 1919, the U.S. government designated the Grand Canyon as what kind of public space?
- The park was enlarged in 1975 to include other areas, such as Marble Canyon and parts of Glen Canyon and Lake Mead
What body of water eroded rock over millions of years to form a great gorge, the Grand Canyon?
- Geologists believe that several small rivers eroded the canyon from west to east, eventually merging to create one large river, the Colorado River.
How many people visit the Grand Canyon each year?
- The annual visitation to the park in 1919 was 44,173.
Who was the first European explorer to see the Grand Canyon?
- The Spanish explorer, Garcia Lopez de Cardenas, saw the Canyon in 1540
Grand Canyon was formed by what process?
The Grand Canyon is 277 miles long and how many miles deep?
- The Grand Canyon ranges from 4 to 16 miles wide
In what state in the Grand Canyon located?
- The Grand Canyon is located in northwestern Arizona