Valentine's Day Quiz
When did the first formal valentines appear?
- The first appearances of formal love messages (known now as valentines) have been dated back to the 1500s. Commercially printed cards were not used until the late 1700s.
What is Cupid the Roman God of?
- In Roman mythology, Cupid is the son of Venus, the goddess of love. It is said that those shot by his arrow will fall madly in love.
Aside from his arrow, what else can be seen on Cupid?
- Sometimes, Cupid is depicted with a blindfold to represent the saying "love is blind."
What is the most common flower bought on Valentine's Day?
- Nearly 43 million households purchase flowers on Valentine's Day, the majority purchasing red roses. Red roses symbolize love, longing, and desire.
Which Pagan festival is Valentine's Day said to have replaced?
- Historians believe that Christians tried to replace the Pagan festival Lupercalia. Lupercalia, a festival for fertility blessings, can be dated as far back as the 6th century B.C.
On Valentine's Day, romantics send letters addressed to whom in Verona, Italy?
- Each year, thousands of romantics send letters addressed to Juliet in Verona, Italy on Valentine's Day. The city is where the tradegy "Romeo and Juliet" takes place. There is a team of volunteers who answer each letter, and on Valentine's Day, the team aw
Who started the tradition of giving chocolate on Valentine's Day?
- In the 19th Century, Richard Cadbury created the tradition of giving a box of chocolate on Valentine's Day. Cadbury thought of the idea after creating new techniques to make a variety of chocolates.
Where was the first valentine written from?
- Charles, Duke of Orleans is said to have written the first valentine from prison after he was captured during the Battle of Agincourt. He penned his poem in the early 15th century.
What did people use to discourage suitors?
- If one wanted to discourage a suitor during the Victorian Era, he or she would send a vinegar valentine. These humilitating and insulting valentines became known as penny dreadfuls.
What did the famous "Sweethearts" candies start out as?
- Sweetheart candies were originally created as lozenges after pharmacist Oliver Chase created a machine to quickly produce lozenges. He later adapted his machine to create candy, and in 1866 Chase's brother convinced him to print sweet notes on the candy.