The Works of J.R.R. Tolkien Quiz
What is the name of the dragon in one of Tolkien's short stories that was only published 60 some years after being completed, in 1998?
- "Roverandom" was a short story about an adorable dragon and his adventures, written for Tolkien's son.
What was the name of an ancient Anglo-Saxon epic that Tolkien translated and provided a commentary for?
- Tolkien created his own translation of "Beowulf" and later used it for his famous lecture in 1936 on the subject.
Tolkien wrote letters to which figure on behalf of his children, later published in a book?
- Tolkien even illustrated these letters to provide a complete, magical experience for his children.
Finish the title of this story that followed a farmer and some pesky giants, published in 1949: "Farmer Giles of…"
- This book was a delightful faux-medieval narrative that paid homage to the types of tales written for Middle English audiences.
What Middle English romance did Tolkien translate and publish in 1925, involving a story from the court of King Arthur?
- Detailing the bravery of Sir Gawain, one of the Knights of the Round Table, Tolkien translated this classic poem into a new masterpiece.
What is the alternate title for Tolkien's classic book "The Hobbit"?
- Throughout the book, Bilbo Baggins battles with a thirst for adventure as well as an urge to return home, finally making it "there and back again".
Which character from "The Lord of the Rings" lends his name to a collection of stories entitled "The Adventures of _____ and Other Verses From the Red Book"?
- Bombadil was not featured in the Peter Jackson movies but was a delightful character in the original books.
Finish the title of this collection of Tolkien's short stories: "Tales From the…"
- The collection includes stories about Tom Bombadil, Smith of Wootton Major, and Farmer Giles, among others.
What was the name of J.R.R. Tolkien's son who acted as editor for his father's titles after his death?
- The writer's son compiled, edited, and annotated many of his unfinished and unpublished works.
Edited by Tolkien's son from his father's posthumous writings, what is the name of the character that "The Children of Húrin" revolves around?
- Incredibly, Christopher Tolkien collated his father's excerpts about the Middle Earth foundation narrative of Túrin Turambar and compiled it into an incredible read.