Quiz: Presidents and Their Dogs
What assassinated president had a dog who was murdered?
- Lincoln's mutt, Fido, was stabbed to death by a drunk in the street a year after Lincoln was assassinated.
What president had a spaniel whose doghouse was decorated with framed political photographs?
- Reagan's King Charles spaniel, Rex, had his own luxurious home.
What president caused public outcry when he picked up his beagle puppies by the ears?
- A picture of Johnson lifting his beagles, Him and Her, by the ears was a front-page item in newspapers around the world. Johnson thought this was the correct way to pick up puppies.
What president said, "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog"?
What Cold War-era president housed four "pupniks" after his dog had a Soviet romance?
- Kennedy's terrier, Charlie, mated with Pushinka, daughter of Sputnik dog-in-space Laika.
What president claimed his dog Checkers was the only campaign gift he accepted?
- "The kids love the dog, and we're going to keep it," Nixon said of the black-and-white cocker spaniel.
What president ordered a destroyer to retrace its route when he learned his dog had been left behind?
- Roosevelt had a destroyer turned around to fetch his Scottie, Fala, from the Aleutian Islands. The rescue cost taxpayers an estimated $15,000.
What president had a dog who pulled off the French Ambassador's pants at a White House event?
- Roosevelt's pit bull, Pete, horrified White House guests by tearing off the ambassador's pants with his teeth.
What president had 36 dogs but would not let his slaves keep dogs?
- Washington had 36 foxhounds, but feared that if his slaves had dogs, the slaves' dogs might harass his sheep.
What president had a dog who sat in his own hand-carved chair during cabinet meetings?
- Harding's Airedale Laddie Boy had not only his own chair, but his own valet.