Decade Quiz 1940s
In 1947, which place received a whopping 12 inches of rainfall in 42 minutes?
- See a list of the greatest rainfalls.
Which famous crooner scored hits with the singles "I'll Never Smile Again" and "This Love of Mine"?
- Sinatra, a member of the infamous "Rat Pack," would later branch into acting with roles in From Here to Eternity and The Manchurian Candidate.
What year was Gandhi assassinated by a Hindu fanatic?
- Check out other important events in the 1940s.
Which broadcasting company opened the first regularly operating television station in 1940?
- here was an estimated 10,000 viewers watching CBS's first affiliate station in New York. That same year, NBC put out the first official television broadcast.
Renowned researcher Alfred Kinsey conducted extensive research in the 40s in what area?
- Kinsey published his landmark study Sexual Behavior in the Human Male in 1948.
Which baseball landmark took place in the 40s?
- The Hall of Fame was established in 1935 to celebrate the game's 100th anniversary, and Joe Dimaggio joined the Yankees the year after. It wasn't until 1947 that Robinson became the first player to break the major league baseball's color line.
Which of these organizations was established in the 40s?
- This U.S. Association was formally established in 1946.
Where was the first computer developed in 1946?
- This innovation was one of many famous firsts in America.
Which country gained its independence from the U.S. in 1946?
- The Philippines received its full independence from the United States on July 4.
During what years did World War II take place?
- Germany invaded Poland in 1939.