Quiz: Which Animal?
Which animal used to roam in huge herds across the American West?
- At the beginning of the 19th century there were over 60 million bison in North America. By the middle of the century bison were extinct east of the Mississippi, and by 1900 there remained only two wild herds in North America.
Which is the biggest of the Great Apes?
- Adult male gorillas weigh about 400 pounds and can be 6 feet tall when standing. Adult female gorillas weigh about 200 pounds and can be 5 feet tall when standing.
Which animal's group is known as a "pride"?
Which bamboo-eating bear has a baby that weighs less than an apple?
- Panda cubs weigh only about 3 ? ounces at birth.
Which animal's baby is known as a "cygnet"?
- And a female swan is called a pen, while a male swan is called a cob.
Which animal leaps out of the water to communicate with others of its kind?
- These leaps are called "breaches." Scientists also theorize that whales breach to remove skin parasites.
Which animal is the only flying mammal?
- Bats belong to the mammalian order Chiroptera, which means "hand-wing." The bones in a bat's wing are the same as those of the human arm and hand.
Which bird can fly straight up, down, and backward?
- They can hover too!
Which of these land animals moves most slowly?
- It would take a garden snail over 30 hours to go a mile.
Which animal has teeth in its stomach?
- A lobster's stomach is located a very short distance from the mouth, and it actually chews its food in the stomach between three grinding surfaces that look like molar surfaces, called the "gastric mill."