Star Dogs Quiz
What is the Latin name of the "dog star"?
- Sirius, the brightest star in the sky, is located in the constellation Canis Major ("large dog"). Rigel, the brightest star in the constellation Orion, was also the name of a Newfoundland who rescued several people from the Titanic.
What was the name of Odysseus's dog in The Odyssey?
- Argus, Odysseus's faithful dog, was the only one to recognize him at the end of his journey. Penelope was Odysseus's wife; Calypso was a tricky nymph.
What claymation dog lives at 62, West Wallaby Street?
- Gromit lives with his human companion, Wallace, and has occasional visits from the small sheep known as Shaun. Gromit's rooms are papered with bone-patterned paper.
Which of the following is one of Snoopy's brothers?
- Spike is Snoopy's brother who lives in the desert. Snowy is the fox terrier of the Belgian comic book hero Tintin; Spooch is the ghost-dog friend of Caspar the friendly ghost.
What's the name of the family dog on The Simpsons?
- Santa's Little Helper is the Simpsons' pet greyhound. She's the Fastest is Santa's occasional girlfriend; Wiggle Puppy is Ralph's imaginary friend.
What kind of dog is Wishbone, star of the television series?
- Wishbone is a Jack Russell terrier.
Who was the first dog movie star in the United States?
- Rin Tin Tin made the first of his 22 movies in 1925. This talented German shepherd signed his own contracts (with a paw print) and for a time was his studio's biggest star.
How was Toto cast in the movie The Wizard of Oz?
- Toto took longer to cast than any other role in the movie. The director wanted Toto to look like the dog in the book, but no one could figure out what kind of dog had been drawn. At last they cast a female cairn terrier named Terry.
What dog was a real-life Soviet astronaut?
- Laika, an eleven-pound mongrel dog, went into space on board the Sputnik II on November 3, 1957
How much does a dog actor typically make in a day?
- A dog actor usually earns about $250 a day, flies first class, and has an air-conditioned dressing room.