Oscar Whiz Quiz
Whose acceptance speech is the longest in Oscar history?
- Greer Garson spoke for five minutes and 30 seconds after accepting the award for Best Actress for her role in "Mrs. Miniver" in 1942.
Three of the 1998 Best Picture nominees were set during what major event?
- The movies were Life Is Beautiful, Saving Private Ryan, and The Thin Red Line.
- Both were 80 when they won, Tandy for Best Actress, Burns for Best Supporting Actor
When was the Academy Award ceremony first televised?
- Bob Hope hosted the first televised ceremony in 1953, which was broadcast live from the RKO Pantages Theater in Hollywood.
After she finished filming, Claudette Colbert reportedly called this film the worst she ever made. It swept the Oscars and garnered her her only win for Best Actress.
- It Happened One Night.
What actor did not make a cameo appearance in 1956's Around the World in 80 Days?
- Brando. 46 actors made cameos and were paid in barter.
- The Blue Room
- They all won Nobel Prizes and had Oscar nominations, but Shaw got both: 1925 Nobel Prize for Literature, 1938 Screenplay Oscar for Pygmalion
What was the first sound picture to get the Best Picture Oscar?
- Broadway Melody won the Academy Award in 1928-1929, the second year they were handed out. Wings, the first Best Picture winner in 1927-28, was the only silent film to win it.
In 2003, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King won all 11 of its nominations. What two films lost all 11 of their nominations?