Incendiary Political Remarks Quiz, 2005
"I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could, if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down"?
- William Bennett made this comment on his radio show Morning in America in September.
"George Bush doesn't care about black people"?
- Rapper Kanye West made this remark during a televised Hurricane Katrina benefit concert, deviating from his prepared script.
Who made this remark in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina?
"We finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans. We couldn't do it, but God did."
- Rep. Richard Baker of Baton Rouge made these remarks to lobbyists, which then found their way into the Wall Street Journal on Sept. 9.
Who made this remark about President George W. Bush?
"The man's father is a wonderful human being. I think this guy is a loser."
- Harry Reid (D-Nev.) made this remark while speaking to a group of high school students in May.
Who made this remark about a South American president?
"If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think we really ought to go ahead and do it."
- In August, Pat Robertson, founder of the Christian Coalition, made this remark about Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez.
Who called evangelist Jim Dobson's Focus on the Family group "the antichrist of the world?"
- In April, Colorado Senator Ken Salazar made this remark during an on-going feud with Focus on the Family over Supreme Court nominees and filibusters.
"Conservatives saw the savagery of 9/11 and the attacks and prepared for war. Liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers."
- Karl Rove made these remarks in a speech to the New York Conservative Party in June.
"A few minutes ago I received a call from Colonel Danny Bubp . . . . He asked me to send Congress a message: Stay the course. He also asked me to send Congressman Murtha a message, that cowards cut and run, Marines never do."
- Rep. Jean Schmidt made these comments in November about Rep. John Murtha (D-Pa.), a Marine who served in Korea and Vietnam.
What organization described the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay as "a gulag of our time?"
- Amnesty International made this characterization in its June 2005 human rights report.
Who made this remark on the Senate floor?
"If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags or some mad regime—Pol Pot or others—that had no concern for human beings."
- Sen. Dick Durbin made this comment in June.