Female Writers and Performers Quiz
Which modern dance pioneer often danced in Greek tunics complemented by colored scarves?
Who was the first woman to win an Academy Award for best actress?
- Janet Gaynor won the best actress award for 7th Heaven, Street Angel and Sunrise for 1927-1928.
Which musician organized the popular, all-female summer music festival, Lilith Fair?
Which female jazz singer was known as the "Empress of the Blues"?
What tragic singer's life did Diana Ross portray in the movie Lady Sings the Blues?
Who was the first female composer to win an Academy Award?
- Barbra Streisand won the award for her song "Evergreen," the love theme from "A Star is Born" in 1976.
Who was the first woman awarded a Pulitzer prize for fiction?
- Edith Wharton won a Pulitzer Prize for The Age of Innocence in 1921. Willa Cather won the award for One of Ours in 1922, and Pearl S. Buck won the award in 1932 for The Good Earth.
Which of these singers was the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
- Aretha Franklin, the "Queen of Soul," was the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987.
What mulitple Grammy Award-winning singer was dubbed "the first lady of song"?
Which of these women has not won eight Emmy Awards?
- Both Mary Tyler Moore and Dinah Shore have eight Emmy Awards. Carol Burnett has won 5.