The Planets - Earth
Earth is not perfectly round; it bulges at the equator and is flatter at the poles. From space the planet looks blue with white swirls, created by water and clouds.
- Size: Four planets in our solar system are larger and four are smaller than Earth
- Diameter: 7,926.2 miles (12,756 km)
- Surface: Earth is made up of water (70%), air, and solid ground. It appears to be the only planet with water
- Atmosphere: Nitrogen (78%), oxygen (21%), other gases
- Rotation of its axis: 23 hours, 56 minutes, 4 seconds
- Rotation around the Sun: 365.2 days
- Satellites: 1
- Mean Distance from Sun: 92.9 million miles (149.6 million km)
- Rings: 0
Fact Monster/Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.