Glossary of Chemical Terms - F
- family (of elements)
- Elements found in the same column of the periodic table, also known as a group of elements.These elements will have similar properties.
- A solid ester of a long-chain carboxylic acid with glycerol.
- Amphetamine-like component of fen-phen that suppresses appetite by increasing seratonin levels in the brain.
- To separate an insoluble solid from a liquid by pour it through a solid (usually paper) to trap the solid particles and separate them from the liquid.
- The process in which heavy nuclei split to form lighter nuclei.
- Relating to the application of scientific knowledge to legal problems.
- A shorthand way of showing the composition of a substance with the use of symbols and numerical subscripts.
- The change of phase from a liquid into a solid.
- The number of complete waves passing a point in space in a given amount of time.
- A material that can be burned to provide a source of energy.
- A gaseous substance used to disinfect an object or to destroy pests.
- A chemical that kills fungi or prevents them from growing.
- The joining of two small nuclei to form a larger nucleus.
Glossary created by David Shaw (Madison Area Technical College) for The Chemistry Place.
Information Please Chemistry Place, 2005 Pearson Education, Inc. All Rights Reserved.