1999 MacArthur Foundation Awards
Updated February 11, 2017 | Infoplease Staff
The MacArthur Foundation awards monetary prizes each year in order to provide financial assistance for selected innovators.
- Jillian Banfield, 39, mineralogist; Madison, Wisc.
- Carolyn Bertozzi, 32, chemist; Albany, Calif.
- Bruce Blair, 51, foreign policy analyst; Washington
- John Bonifaz, 33, public interest lawyer; Boston
- Shawn Carlson, 39, physicist and educator; San Diego
- Mark Danner, 40, journalist; Berkeley, Calif. and New York
- Alison Des Forges, 56, writer, researcher, and human rights advocate; Buffalo, N.Y.
- Elizabeth Diller, 45, architect; New York and Ricardo Scofidio, 64, architect; New York
- Saul Friedlander, 66, historian; Los Angeles
- Jennifer Gordon, 33, lawyer and community organizer; Brooklyn, N.Y.
- David Hillis, 40, molecular biologist; Austin, Tex.
- Sara Horowitz, 36, executive director, Working Today; New York
- Jacqueline Jones, 51, social historian; Wellesley, Mass.
- Laura Kiessling, 38, chemist and biochemist; Madison, Wisc.
- Leslie Kurke, 39, literature professor; Berkeley, Calif.
- David Levering Lewis, 63, historian; New York
- Juan Martin Maldacena, physicist; Cambridge, Mass.
- Gay McDougall, 51, attorney; Washington
- Campbell McGrath, 37, poet; Miami Beach, Fla.
- Dennis Moore, 54, anthropological linguist; Belem-Para, Brazil
- Elizabeth Murray, 58, painter; New York
- Pepón Osorio, 44, installation artist; New York
- Peter Shor, 39, computer scientist; Florham Park, N.J.
- Eva Silverstein, 28, theoretical physicist; Stanford, Calif.
- Wilma Subra, 55, chemist and environmentalist; New Iberia, La.
- Ken Vandermark, 34, musician; Chicago
- Naomi Wallace, 38, playwright; Otterburn, England
- Jeffrey Weeks, 42, mathematician; Canton, N.Y.
- Fred Wilson, 44, installation artist; New York
- Xu Bing, 44, artist; New York
- Ofelia Zepeda, linguist, poet, editor, and community leader; Tucson