Cite
 

Texas A&M University

Texas A&M University, main campus at College Station land-grant and state supported coeducational chartered 1871 as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas, opened 1876. The school gained university status and its present name in 1963. Other schools within the Texas A&M Univ. System are Prairie View A&M Univ. (est. 1876), at Prairie View, predominantly African-American Texas A&M–Commerce (est. 1889) Tarleton State Univ. (est. 1899), at Stephenville West Texas A&M Univ. (est. 1909), at Canyon Texas A&M–Kingsville (est. 1925) Texas A&M–Corpus Christi (est. 1947) Texas A&M–Galveston (est. 1962), devoted to marine sciences and the maritime industry Texas A&M International Univ. (est. 1970), at Laredo, predominantly Mexican-American Texas A&M–Texarkana (est. 1971) and the Health Sciences Center (est. 1999), at College Station, Temple, Dallas, Houston, and Kingsville. Research facilities include a cyclotron institute and an offshore technology research laboratory at College Station, an institute for surveying at Corpus Christi, and a water resources center at Kingsville.

The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.

See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.

Browse by Subject

The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.