South Dakota, University of
South Dakota, University of, at Vermillion state supported coeducational chartered 1862, opened 1882 as the Univ. of Dakota. In 1891 it was renamed the Univ. of South Dakota in 1959 it became the State Univ. of South Dakota and in 1964 its present name was again adopted. A noted music museum is at the Vermillion campus. The medical school is at Sioux Falls.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-