Nevada, University of
Nevada, University of, at Reno and Las Vegas land-grant and state supported coeducational chartered 1864, opened 1874 at Elko, moved to Reno 1886. The Reno campus includes the Mackay School of Mines and a mining museum as well an an institute for the study of gambling. The Las Vegas campus (1957) has an excellent hotel administration program. The Desert Research Institute is affiliated.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-