Maryland, University of
Maryland, University of, at College Park coeducational land-grant and state supported chartered 1856 and opened 1859 as Maryland Agricultural College, renamed Maryland State College 1916, consolidated 1920 with the professional schools of the older Univ. of Maryland (Baltimore), separated 1988 as an individual institution in what is now the University System of Maryland (see Maryland, University System of ). The Univ. of Maryland, College Park, is a major research institution with 14 colleges and schools on its campus, numerous centers and institutes, and notable programs in business, engineering, computer science, education, and journalism. It is one of the 11 colleges and universities in Maryland's higher education system and one of several Maryland institutions that share the name and heritage of the pre-1988 Univ. of Maryland, but only it is legally permitted to be known as simply the Univ. of Maryland.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-