Hawaii, University of
Hawaii, University of, at Honolulu (Manoa Campus), Hilo, and Pearl City (West Oahu Campus) with additional community college campuses land-grant and state supported coeducational chartered 1907, opened 1908 as the College of Agricultural and Mechanic Arts. It became the College of Hawaii in 1911 and assumed its present name in 1920. In 1960 the federal government created the Center for Cultural and Technical Interchange between East and West on the Manoa campus. The university maintains institutes of astronomy, geophysics, marine biology, and biomedical research and the Lyon Arboretum in Manoa Valley.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-