Virginia State University
Virginia State University, at Petersburg; land-grant and state supported; coeducational; chartered 1882 as a normal and collegiate institute, opened 1883, became a normal and industrial institute in 1902. The school was renamed Virginia State College for Negroes in 1930 and Virginia State College in 1946; it assumed its present name in 1979. There are schools of agriculture and applied sciences, business, graduate studies, natural sciences, education, and humanities and social sciences.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.