Texas A&M University, main campus at College Station; land-grant and state supported; coeducational; chartered 1871 as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas, opened 1876. The school gained university status and its present name in 1963. Other schools within the Texas A&M Univ. System are Prairie View A&M Univ. (est. 1876), at Prairie View, predominantly African-American; Texas A&M–Commerce (est. 1889); Tarleton State Univ. (est. 1899), at Stephenville; West Texas A&M Univ. (est. 1909), at Canyon; Texas A&M–Kingsville (est. 1925); Texas A&M–Corpus Christi (est. 1947); Texas A&M–Galveston (est. 1962), devoted to marine sciences and the maritime industry; Texas A&M International Univ. (est. 1970), at Laredo, predominantly Mexican-American; Texas A&M–Texarkana (est. 1971); and the Health Sciences Center (est. 1999), at College Station, Temple, Dallas, Houston, and Kingsville. Research facilities include a cyclotron institute and an offshore technology research laboratory at College Station, an institute for surveying at Corpus Christi, and a water resources center at Kingsville.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2023, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.