New Mexico State University
New Mexico State University, at Las Cruces; land-grant and state supported; coeducational; chartered and opened 1889 as a college. It became New Mexico State Univ. of Engineering, Agriculture, and Science in 1958 and adopted its present name in 1960. The school also has two-year branches at Alamogordo, Dona Ana, Carlsbad, and Grants. It has a plant genetics engineering laboratory and a water resources institute and maintains statewide extension centers and agricultural substations.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.