Mississippi State University for Women
Mississippi State University for Women, at Columbus; the first state-supported women's college; chartered 1884, opened 1885 as Mississippi Industrial Institute and College, renamed Mississippi State College for Women 1920, achieved university status 1974. It has graduate programs in education and health sciences. Although men have been permitted to apply without restrictions since 1982, the student body remains predominantly female.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.