Weehawken wē´hôkən, wēhô´kən [key], township (1990 pop. 12,385), Hudson co., NE N.J., on the Hudson River opposite New York City, with which it is connected by the Lincoln Tunnel inc. 1859. It is mostly residential.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
Highwood,the James Gore King estate, was the scene in 1804 of the duel between Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton . A bronze bust commemorates Hamilton, who was fatally wounded.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-