1 Residential and resort city (1990 pop. 16,027), Atlantic co., SE N.J., just W of Atlantic City settled 1702, inc. 1888. It is the trade center of an area known as 2 Residential village (1990 pop. 6,592), Westchester co., SE N.Y. The village has well-known printing and publishing facilities.
the Mainland.Tourism, shellfishing, deep-sea fishing, and boatbuilding are important activities.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-