Uninc. city (1990 pop. 26,207), Nassau co., SE N.Y., on Long Island. It is chiefly residential.
City (1990 pop. 21,700), seat of Hale co., NW Tex., on the Llano Estacado inc. 1907. The level plain, irrigated by shallow wells from a large underground water belt, yields wheat, grain sorghum, soybeans, and cotton, and cattle are raised. Plainview's industries include food processing and the production of hybrid seeds and farm equipment. Wayland Baptist Univ. and the Llano Estacado Museum are in the city.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-