City (1990 pop. 16,389), seat of Huntington co., NE Ind. inc. 1848. It is a farm trade center and an industrial city. Manufactures include automotive parts, machinery, construction materials, food and beverages, cleaning agents, fireplaces, electrical equipment, rubber, and plastic. Huntington College and the Dan Quayle Center and Museum are in the city. The nearby Forks of the Wabash were a Native American gathering place and early trade center.
Uninc. town (1990 pop. 18,243), Suffolk co., SE N.Y., on the northern shore of Long Island settled 1653. It is the heart of a township containing 17 contiguous communities, noted for their precision manufactures. The town, which is chiefly residential, has numerous harbors and boatyards. It is the seat of Immaculate Conception College and World Friends College.
City (1990 pop. 54,844), seat of Cabell co., W W.Va., on the Ohio River founded 1871 as the western terminus of the Chesapeake & Ohio RR and named for the C&O's president. The second largest city in the state, it is a commercial center and a river port that ships bituminous coal. It has railyards and glass and chemical industries. Other manufactures include transportation equipment, furniture, and wood and metal products. Marshall Univ. is there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-