City (1990 pop. 71,349), Los Angeles co., S Calif., a suburb of Los Angeles inc. 1922. Located in an oil- and gas-producing area, Hawthorne manufactures navigation systems, solar panels, electronic components, silicon instruments, and transportation equipment.
Borough (1990 pop. 17,084), Passaic co., NE N.J. settled 1850, inc. 1898. Primarily a residential suburb of New York City, it has light manufacturing.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-