Uninc. town (1990 pop. 23,229), Alameda co., W Calif., a growing suburb in the San Francisco–Oakland area. There is light manufacturing.
City (1990 pop. 16,312), seat of Laurens co., central Ga., on the Oconee River inc. 1812. Formerly a center for cotton processing and distribution, it is now a commercial and industrial center with lumbering and diversified manufacturing.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-