City (1990 pop. 16,029), seat of Carroll co., W Ga., on the Little Tallapoosa River inc. 1897. Manufacturing includes fiber-optic cable, ropes, yarns, stainless-steel pipe, apparel, and prefabricated homes. The Univ. of West Georgia is there.
City (1990 pop. 82,169), Dallas and Denton counties., N Tex., a suburb of Dallas, in a rapidly growing area. The city's population nearly quadrupled from 1970 to 1990. Metal, plastic, and paper products aircraft and auto parts and electronic equipment are among the major products.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-