City (1990 pop. 10,243), seat of Lincoln co., SW Miss. inc. 1859. It is situated in a dairy, timber, and farm area. Oil and gas fields are nearby. The city's manufactures include wood products, apparel, lumber, wire cloth, and asphalt.
Town (1990 pop. 407,779), Suffolk co., SE N.Y., on E Long Island. The largest Long Island town in area at 326 sq mi (844 sq km), it is a rapidly developing residential, commercial, agricultural, and resort area.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-