Town (1990 pop. 19,483), Hartford co., N Conn., a suburb of Hartford, in a tobacco and dairy region settled c.1642, inc. 1835. Helicopter parts are made there.
City (1990 pop. 45,061), Essex co., NE N.J., an industrial and residential suburb of Newark settled as part of Newark c.1660, inc. as a town 1812, as a city 1900. Electrical equipment, adhesives, rubber products, and semiconductor gaskets are made in the city, which is also home to Bloomfield College. Named for the Revolutionary War general Joseph Bloomfield, who later became governor of New Jersey, it had been a supply point for both sides during the war. In the 19th cent. it was a trade and transportation hub.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-