City (1990 pop. 59,459), seat of Madison co., E central Ind., on the White River inc. 1838. It is a manufacturing center in a fertile farm area food products, aircraft parts, furniture, and industrial fabrics are produced. There also are call-center operations and horse racing and gambling. The city's industrial growth began with the discovery of natural gas in 1887. The automotive industry was established in 1901 and became the city's largest employer, but it declined in the late 20th cent., leading to a major population loss as well. Anderson Univ. is there. The city has a fine-arts center and a symphony orchestra. Nearby Mounds State Park has numerous prehistoric mounds. The Moravians operated a Native American mission nearby (1801–6).
City (1990 pop. 26,184), seat of Anderson co., NW S.C. settled in the 17th cent., inc. 1828. The commercial center of a farming and livestock area, its industries include the manufacture of electronic equipment, machinery, paper and plastic products, and textiles and apparel.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-