Moosehead Lake, 35 mi (56 km) long, from 2 to 10 mi (3.2–16.1 km) wide, with an area of 120 sq mi (311 sq km), W Maine, N of Augusta. It is the largest lake in Maine and has an irregular shoreline and numerous islands. The region around the lake is a picturesque resort area, and there is a state park on the southeast shore.
(1,789 ft/545 m high) is located on a peninsula that extends into the lake.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Physical Geography
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-