Jumel Mansion jo͞omĕl´, zho͞o– [key], historic house, New York City. The sturdy Georgian mansion was completed in 1766 by Roger Morris, one of the city's wealthy merchants. In the American Revolution it served as headquarters of George Washington and Sir Henry Clinton, American and British commanders in chief. After the war it was used as a tavern. It was purchased (1810) by a rich wine merchant, Stephen Jumel (d. 1832), for his wife, Eliza Brown Jumel (1775–1865). After Jumel's death she married (1833) Aaron Burr, wrangled with him over family finances, and procured (1834) a divorce. When she died, the mansion passed to members of her family. In 1903 it was purchased by the city. By 1945 it was completely restored and opened to the public under the auspices of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
See W. H. Shelton, The Jumel Mansion (1916).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Physical Geography
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-