River rising in SE Mo. and flowing c.300 mi (480 km) SE, then SW to the White River near Newport, Ark. It is partly navigable. Clearwater Dam is on the river near Piedmont, Mo.
River of N N.Y., c.120 mi (190 km) long, rising in the Adirondack Mts. and flowing mainly N and W to Black River Bay, an inlet of Lake Ontario. Its falls provide power for factories and mills.
River, c.160 mi (260 km) long, rising in central Wis. and winding SW to the Mississippi River at La Crosse, Wis. It has been used to transport lumber, coal, and petroleum products. Big Manitou Falls, the highest falls in Wisconsin (165 ft/50 m), are in the river.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Physical Geography
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-