bōrgā´zā vēl´lä or Villa Umberto Ivēl´lä o͞ombĕr´tō prē´mō [key], summer palace built by Scipione Cardinal Borghese outside the Porta del Popolo, Rome. Begun in 1605, the villa was transformed in the 18th cent. into a more elaborate edifice. In 1806 it yielded much of its priceless art to Paris. It is now government owned and has become the repository for many of the paintings from the Borghese Palace.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Italian Physical Geography