Thurgau to͞or´gou [key], canton (1993 pop. 213,200), 388 sq mi (1,005 sq km), NE Switzerland. Bordered in the north by Lake Constance and watered by the Thur River, Thurgau is a fertile and cultivated region. Cereals and fruit are grown, cattle are raised, and wine is produced. It has several industrial towns, notably Arbon and Frauenfeld , the capital of the canton. Manufactures include textiles, motor vehicles, and shoes. The population is mainly Protestant and German-speaking. Thurgau was acquired (1264) by the Hapsburgs and was conquered (1460) by the Swiss cantons; it was ruled by the cantons until 1798, when the French invaded Switzerland. In 1803 it became a canton of Switzerland.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Swiss Political Geography