Sault Sainte Marie
Soolocks on the St. Marys River draw visitors who watch heavily laden ships pass through the intricate system that links lakes Superior and Huron. Particularly impressive is the 21-ft (6.4-m) lift to the level of Lake Superior.
The region was first explored (1615) by Etienne Brulé, and Father Jacques Marquette established a Jesuit mission there in 1668. French occupation ended in 1763. The British remained in control until 1783, when the area was ceded to the United States. Fort Brady was built in 1822. The discovery of great mineral deposits in the northwest stimulated the construction (1853–55) of the Sault Ste Marie Canal to facilitate the flow of ore; the locks have since been enlarged. An international bridge connects Sault Ste Marie with its Canadian counterpart. Lake Superior State Univ. in the city occupies the historic site of Fort Brady.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography