Gloversville glŭv´ərzvĭl˝ [key], city (1990 pop. 16,656), Fulton co., E central N.Y.; inc. as a village and named changed from Stump City 1853, inc. as a city 1890. Glove making, important from the late 19th cent., accounted for about 90% of all fine leather gloves made in the United States until the 1950s when the industry began its decline. The city has a noteworthy colonial church building, and is a gateway to Adirondack State Park to the north.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography