Fort Bridger State Park
Fort Bridger State Park, on Blacks Fork of the Green River, SW Wyo. The supply post, founded by U.S. fur trader James Bridger in 1843, was an important station on the Oregon Trail . The Mormons held Fort Bridger from 1853 until 1857. The post was then leased to the U.S. army, which maintained it as a fort until 1890. Some of the original buildings still survive.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Miscellaneous U.S. Geography