Moncton mŭngk´tən [key], city (1991 pop. 57,010), SE N.B., Canada, on the Petitcodiac River. Although its rail repair yards were closed in 1988, it is an air and rail transportation center and a road hub for the Maritimes. Textiles as well as wood, metal, meat, and petroleum products are manufactured, and wood and meat are processed. In the 1990s its bilingual citizenry enabled the city to become a telemarketing and telephone customer-service center. It was called The Bend until 1833, when it was renamed in honor of the British general Robert Monckton. Magnetic Hill, an optical illusion, and the Tidal Bore, a high tide occurring twice daily, are features of the city. The Univ. of Moncton is there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Canadian Political Geography