Fort Garry, two trading posts of the Hudson's Bay Company, built on the present-day site of Winnipeg, Man., Canada, at the confluence of the Red and Assiniboine rivers. The first, Upper Fort Garry, was built in 1822 on the site of Fort Gibralter, a post of the North West Company from 1809 to 1816. It was named for Nicholas Garry, the deputy governor of the Hudson's Bay Company. Damaged by flood, it was replaced by Lower Fort Garry (1831–33) farther down on the Red River. Upper Fort Garry was rebuilt in 1835 and became the center of the Red River fur trade. Lower Fort Garry National Historic Site contains a restoration of Lower Fort Garry, and Upper Fort Garry is a national historic site and provinical heritage park.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2024, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Canadian Political Geography